Improve the structure of your URLs:
Use words in URLs:
- URLs with words that are relevant to your site's content and structure are friendlier for visitors navigating your site. Visitors remember them better and might be more willing to link to them.
- Using lengthy URLs with unnecessary parameters and session IDs
- Choosing generic page names like "page1.html"
- Using excessive keywords
- Use a directory structure that organizes your content well and makes it easy for visitors to know where they're at on your site. Try using your directory structure to indicate the type of content found at that URL.
- Having deep nesting of subdirectories like ".../dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/dir5/dir6/page.html"
- Using directory names that have no relation to the content in them.
- To prevent users from linking to one version of a URL and others linking to a different version (this could split the reputation of that content between the URLs), focus on using and referring to one URL in the structure and internal linking of your pages. If you do find that people are accessing the same content through multiple URLs, setting up a 301 redirect from non-preferred URLs to the dominant URL is a good solution for this. You may also use canonical URL or use the rel="canonical" link element if you cannot redirect.
- Having pages from sub-domains and the root directory access the same content - e.g. "domain.com/page.htm" and "sub.domain.com/page.htm".
- Using odd capitalization of URLs, many users expect lower-case URLs and remember them better.
Make your site easier to navigate:
Create a naturally flowing hierarchy:
- Make it as easy as possible for users to go from general content to the more specific content they want on your site. Add navigation pages when it makes sense and effectively work these into your internal link structure.
- Creating complex webs of navigation links, e.g. linking every page on your site to every other page.
- Going overboard with slicing and dicing your content (so that it takes twenty clicks).
- Having a navigation based entirely on drop-down menus, images, or animations,- many, but not all, search engines can discover such links on a site, but if a user can reach all pages on a site via normal text links, this will improve the accessibility of your site.
- A simple site map page with links to all of the pages or the most important pages (if you have hundreds or thousands) on your site can be useful. Creating an XML Sitemap file for your site helps ensure that search engines discover the pages on your site.
- Letting your HTML site map page become out of date with broken links
- Creating an HTML site map that simply lists pages without organizing them, for example by subject.
- Users will occasionally come to a page that doesn't exist on your site, either by following a broken link or typing in the wrong URL. Having a custom 404 page that kindly guides users back to a working page on your site can greatly improve a user's experience. Your 404 page should probably have a link back to your root page and could also provide links to popular or related content on your site. Google provides a 404 widget that you can embed in your 404 page to automatically populate it with many useful features. You can also use Google Webmaster Tools to find the sources of URLs causing "not found" errors.
- Allowing your 404 pages to be indexed in search engines (make sure that your web-server is configured to give a 404 HTTP status code when non-existent pages are requested)
- Providing only a vague message like "Not found", "404", or no 404 page at all
- Using a design for your 404 pages that isn't consistent with the rest of your site.
Thanks a lot for reading this post.
other related posts:
Best Practices for SEO -Part 1
SEO Best Practices - Part 3
SEO Best Practices - Part 4
SEO Tips - Best Practices Part 5
SEO Tips - use Google Webmaster Tools
SEO in my Blogs
On-Page Search Engine Optimization
Create your own blog or web site - make real money
Sell Products online - cash for Affiliate Marketer
Bid Project and win - work as a Freelancer from home
Work from Home as a Freelancer
Online Money Vault with Blogger Platform
Best CPC or PPC fro Bangladesh
SEO or Search Engine Optimization related post